Friday, January 29, 2010

The Montblanc Meisterstuck Black Ballpoint Pen 164

Back in the days of my highly ego-motivated management work, I bought myself a present. I went walking into an Office Depot store one day and, with a sense of worthiness and self-deservedness, laid down about $80. to buy myself one of these pens. I had coveted them in the pockets and in the hands of others for many years - now it was MY turn! I bought a couple of extra (Medium Black) refills, put the thing in my shirt pocket and went on my way feeling as though I had just invested in acknowledging my own success.

Over the ensuing years (nearly 20 of them), I have used this pen nearly daily and while, at first, it seemed a bit to heavy and wide, my hand quickly adjusted to it's feel. I simply love it. The refills manufactured for it by Mont Blanc are, incidentally, FAR superior to the second-rung "Fits Mont Blanc" refills available at most office supply stores and are consistent with the instrument itself.

But, I am writing this review, in large part to comment on my experience with the Warrantee - said (and written) to be "... for the lifetime of the original owner." I have seen many such warrantees and guarantees in my life and have adjusted my expectations about their fulfillment down to a level commensurate with my actual experience. The Mont Blanc was an exception. Together with its flawless heavy highly polished black resin case, 24-karat gold appointments and amazingly smooth scripting, one needs to hold and write with it to fully appreciate both its enduring beauty AND functionality.


After about 15 years, something (I was never quite sure exactly what) happened that crushed the lower part of the pen. For a month or so, it sat in my desk drawer and each time I looked at it, I was saddened. The, I recalled the warrantee. I looked up Mont Blanc on the web, found the address and the instructions for returning a broken instrument for warrantee service. (It is all performed by the company itself - not, as is so often the case, by local "Authorized Warrantee Service Centers.") I sent the pen in, offering neither proof of purchase (which I had lost a good many years prior to this) and a check for $35., the then rate for handling, servicing, repairing and returning the pen. In two weeks I had my pen back - to all appearances, brand new!
I was both pleased and astounded. Although I have, in the meanwhile, retired from my ambition and returned to line-staff work, I still love and regularly use my Mont Blanc - trusting that should tragedy ever again befall it - the warrantee will still be there.

I also note that the current equivalent of this pen sells for something in the range of $230. Now, that's appreciation. Whoever would have suspected that for a pen?

So, like I advise people when they ask me when the best time is to buy their first home: I say, "As soon as you can", I also advise any lover or serious appreciator of fine writing instruments to consider the Mont Blanc Ball Point - not only because of it's unequalled quality as a pen - but also because of the continuing honor of a company that assures it's reputation remains upheld and deserved by providing the service they promised at the beginning.

2 comments: