Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cross Century II Medalist Fountain Pen with Polished Chrome and 23 Karat Gold Plated Appointments and 23 Karat Gold Plated Nib - Medium

As both an amateur writer and artist, I was looking for a pen that would fulfill several roles. Here are some points on this pen from both points of view, categorized:

I just seem to like fountain pens, despite my young age. Also, if anyone wants to know why I'd use a fountain pen over a dip pen for drawing, its the mobility - I can use them anywhere.

2.) Ink - width, cartridge-loading, converter & bottle-loading: Ever since I first used a rollerball as opposed to a normal ballpoint, I loved the strong, black line that some of them gave. It made my work stand apart from others. Fountain pens are even better. The stroke this pen gives is a powerful, thick black (assuming, of course, that black ink is used! I'm willing to bet that for those who like, for example, blue, that this would look beautiful with blue ink. =:o).

When used with the provided Cross black ink cartridges (I bought some extras), it goes on fluid & slick, and dries quickly.

I also used the pen with Higgins Fountain Pen India - a non-waterproof bottled ink formulated for fountain pens (you'd still NEVER want to use normal India ink - this one was made to be fountain-pen safe!). Despite what some folks say, works quite well in this pen without gumming it up (it doesn't have the shellac normally in India ink, which destroys pens. That makes it the best of both worlds)!

The Higgins ink - while it requires a bit more nib-flushing than the Cross ink (mainly for cosmetic reasons) - writes quite well, drying quickly. On the paper types I tried it on, it also seems to be a slightly deeper black, and doesn't bleed through quite as badly - making it better for the heavy ink saturation used in drawing.

Since the cartridges aren't available in this town - but the bottled ink is - the ability to use either load format is a Godsend. The converter - which screws in securely to the nib section, and draws up ink with its screwing piston - is a "sturdy" plastic, not a "rottable" rubber like the pens of yesteryear.

Nevertheless, I can always have a couple cartridges around, if I need them in a pinch.

3.) Feel: The pen is slim - reminicent of many rollerballs and ballpoints. However, the pen's weight feels great to me. It's reasonably light; in some positions, I'll use it in the "American style" - i.e., posting the cap on the far end. In others, I'll use it in the "European style" - holding the cap in my other hand, or placing it on a desk.

Something I find myself doing, by the way, is holding the pen between my fingers - opened and posted - while reading magazines. If I want to mark something, I use it... and it feels great in between the fingers. =:o)

The feel of writing with this pen is wonderful - it's a smoothness I've never felt before, even from rollerballs or other fountain pens (cheaper ones). In fact, the smoothness may make one's writing a bit sloppy for a while, while they get used to it! =xoD

When they do, though, they'll carry the pen everywhere they go!

3.) Appearance, carry, and miscellaneous: The pen is simply beautiful - even if the gold plating were to eventually wear off, the chrome alone would still be stunning.

The photos fail to show something wonderful about the pen - its nib is engraved with an intricate, beautiful pattern. =:o) It reminds me of the Gates of Moria from The Lord of the Rings.

As far as carrying, I don't have a shirt pocket - and so, I clip it into my left front pants pocket.

The fact that the pen is very leak-resistant is evident by the fact that the cap has caught very little spatter - and I have a habit of twitching my legs up and down.

****

It should be remembered, that with an item like this, only time will tell how good it will be. Fountain pens are known to be able to last for decades, if well cared for... and at only a couple of weeks, I really haven't tested the pen well yet.

While I like it so far, keep that in mind, when reading this. I doubt most folks buy fountain pens - particularly metal-barreled ones - with the intention of trashing them in a few months or a couple of years.

1 comment:

  1. petromaxxxx......
    new menu top : http://cpuchipz.blogspot.com/2010/03/link-pelangi.html

    ReplyDelete