Monday, January 25, 2010

Cross Century II Black Fountain Pen with 23 Karat Gold Plated Appointments and 23 Karat Gold Plated Nib - Medium

My work demands a lot of interpersonal contact, face-to-face, over-the-phone, and written. Recently I have moved the more intimate of these communications off the electronic impersonality of email and onto quality stationery. At the same time, I've bought two fountain pens, my first ever, combining this black Cross Century II with its silver-and-gold twin. One stays at the office and one by my writing desk here at home.

In the mix, I find that I'm discovering a new art form and means of personal expression. Always an illegible writer, the stationery and the fine pen slow me down just enough to realize that I actually *can* write.

It is difficult to overestimate the potency of a hand-written note in the Age of Email. It is a bit of chosen retro-referencing upon which the recipients of my letters comment with appreciation. And it doesn't take *that* much time.

The Cross Century II can be considered near the top of the entry-level pens. I chose them because of good experience with Cross ballpoints, not wanting to spend too much until I figured out whether this was going to work, and my routinely bad experience with base-entry-level products.

I believe this pen is likely to serve me for years to come. As I learn the beauty of a fine or solid stroke, however, I also widen my peripheral vision and discover there's a high-end pen store at my local shopping center.

Uh-oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment